Assertive Communication Skills
About the Course
Ever said ‘yes’ when you wanted to say ‘no’? Interested in negotiating outcomes that work for everyone involved? Then this could be course for you. Complete with the knowledge of relevant theory and enriched with group discussions, the programme is designed to boost confidence and enhance essential skills. The course focuses on the workplace, but there are clear carry-overs into other areas of life.
To boost participants’ confidence and ability to handle the most sensitive and challenging communications at work.
By the end of the course participants will be able to:
- Define assertion and distinguish it from aggression and non-assertion/passivity
- Describe the effects of different forms of behaviour on themselves and others, both short and long term
- Describe how certain forms of body language influence communication
- Explain how ‘self-talk’ – our beliefs about ourselves – directly affects behaviour
- Identify their own self-talk and the positive/negative impact it is having their capacity to communicate assertively
- Explain how to go about modifying their own self beliefs
- Describe how to bring feelings and emotions under conscious control
- Manage a wide variety of common work situations assertively
- Negotiate acceptable outcomes with others, even in the face of conflicting needs and agendas
For further information, please contact our lead person for Communication & Work Management Liz Burgess:
- +44 (0)20 8505 2151